Center for Research and Consultancy
YU is seeking to become a major center for intellectual distinction in economics and business, information technology, and engineering. The Center for Research and Consultancy (CRC) has been established to draft and implement research policies and to encourage the faculty to engage in attracting scientific research projects related to economics, business, information technology and engineering. Alongside implementation of research policies through its role as a research office, the Center aims to offer consulting and training services to the public and the private sectors. The Center is served by its affiliated members from different colleges within the University. The YU Postgraduate Studies and Academic Research Council provides intellectual input and advice to the Center. Currently, the Center is working under the directorship of a highly experienced economist. Along with a PhD in economics and finance, he has done work for the Asian Development Bank, World Bank, European Commission, and Ministry of Defense (UK). He has been part of research teams that have attracted funding of seven million British Pounds directly and indirectly. His high impact research work has been appreciated in academia and policy making at top government levels, including central banks and ministries in the UK, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
Vision of the Center
To be a recognized leader in advancing knowledge through excellent research, scholarship and consultancy.
Mission of the Center
To develop supportive research environment, promote and maintain culture of excellence for scholars, foster intellectual creativity and facilitate scientific investigation and innovation.
Center Role and Interactions in the University
At the research level, the Center is in charge of providing support for and coordination of faculty development, as well as postgraduate and undergraduate students involvement in scholarly activities. The Center builds and strengthens the bridges between researchers and the surrounding community. The Center is in charge of all the activities related to the dissemination of research findings, including the participation in conferences and the research training of the faculty, as well as the integration of teaching and research. The Center needs direct collaboration with the faculty in order to build new sponsored programs and other research activities, and makes recommendations regarding the released-time required by these tasks, as well as the recognition of the research achievements of the faculty members. Overall, the role of the Center is to be a catalyst to enhance the research production and productivity of all colleges by building the network and the infrastructure. It models the ideals and benchmarks to be conveyed to the faculty at the research level. However, the individual faculty produces the research and is the owner. The colleges are fully accountable of their research production and their disciplinary graduate programs.
The Center promotes high quality research across a breadth of activities and disciplines. These activities are growing in size, scope, nature, and quality through time and through the appropriate commitment of resources. Some important activities to realize in this area are:
- Establish the Center in terms of space allocation, staffing, and governance structure.
- Define and get approval for the role and responsibilities of different elements of the structure.
- Improve and sustain the growth of existing postgraduate programs through different initiatives, best practices, and synergies, among others.
- Develop new research postgraduate programs both at disciplinary and inter-disciplinary levels by partnering with well-recognized international universities.
- Develop new approaches to offer customized studies and research to governmental agencies and corporate communities.
- Support and enforce the development of new postgraduate programs, including the discussion of independent or jointly run doctoral programs.
- Coordinate the research activities and support under one roof/destination in order to improve the research output.
- Develop opportunities for undergraduate students to participate and learn about research and forms of scientific inquiries through workshops, undergraduate research assistantships, and courses in research methods at early stages of their programs.
- Develop brochures and other material for the Center to promote the role of Center and the University’s new research vision.
- Promote activities to nurture a progressive change in the research culture in YU to build the goodwill to do research through empowerment of the faculty to allocate time to research and scholarship.
- Assess and analyze the University’s current research capacity.
- Develop catalyst seminars to promote interdisciplinary projects, team initiatives, and collaborative research among colleges and between institutions.
- Organize workshops on research grant initiation and writing process to sharpen the faculty’s research skills and boost their performance.
- Promote, support, and provide financial incentives for research related interactions (e.g. research groups, research labs).
- Make recommendations for the building and maintenance of research infrastructure and facilities, i.e. the provision of equipment and labs, software acquisition, database acquisition, and space allocations for research areas.
- Develop procedures and peer reviewing of internal grant proposals (seed funds).
- Support research through released time from instruction, built-in development stipends, and conference and research travel grants.
- Identify and provide information on sources of funding and their needs by partnering with governmental agencies, research foundations, corporate communities, and international organizations.
- Identify and approve the strategic areas of research of the University and foster excellence through emphasis in emerging areas of research in KSA.
- Promote the establishment of new centers, i.e. centers of excellence and endowed chairs that will focus on knowledge-based economy.
- Encourage faculty to conduct research relevant to the Center’s mission through fellowships, grants awards and other forms of research support.
- Encourage and assist in the development and review of grant proposals.
- Administration of all grants and contracts, along with other responsible parties.
- Assist in budget preparation for external proposals.
- Organize seminars and other events to disseminate the results of research and create opportunities to meet with our researchers.
- Support productive researchers to incubate technology until the technology is ready for commercialization.
- Support patent development, commercialization, and entrepreneurship in the future.
- Provide reports, representations, publications and press releases to promote the YU research visibility and standing to the industry and the public.
- Seek external funding from business and industry organizations for feasibility studies to assist them in enhancing their operations, or creating new opportunities, i.e. corporate sponsored customer satisfaction surveys, etc.
- Conduct consumer surveys and/or analysis of business operations to assist local businesses and industrial organizations to help improve their operations and services.
- Organize and host scientific research events at YU.
- Facilitate the attraction of visiting scholars and develop the infrastructure for possible future post-doctoral training at YU.
- Develop a reliable network of high caliber scholars to be associated with YU. Build on the YU entrepreneurship spirit in order to develop a strong research network and raise the level of research production, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Develop a fertile network of partners for fundraising and create awareness among the community about the long-term benefits of research to the society.
- Strengthen YU relationship with the alumni (mainly with graduate students).
- Generate community support and external funding for research activities and sponsorship programs from well-established and long-life networks (strategic partners).