Saad Alsunbul, Ph.D.
Director of EMBA program in PGS Deanship & Assistant Professor of Finance
Dr. Saad Alsunbul is an Assistant Professor of Finance, AACSB Accreditation Chair, the faculty advisor for the CFA Challenge, and the Freshmen Supervisor at Al Yamamah University. Before joining Al Yamamah University, Dr. Saad was a lecturer and a research assistant at The University of New Orleans in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. While at The University of New Orleans, he taught finance courses and worked on research projects.
Besides his academic experience, Dr. Saad worked in the industry, where he severed as a Senior Insurance Operations Supervisor, then as a Branch manager, and finally as a Deputy Area Manager for the Central Region at AICC. While at AICC, Dr. Saad developed solid financial risk management skills through close monitoring of the global insurance markets as well as through daily underwriting and facultative reinsurance processes, settling claims, and handling various insurance-related issues for Property, Marine, General Accident, and Engineering policies.
Dr. Saad’s expertise can be summarized in the following areas:
- Asset pricing and Investment
- Financial Derivatives and Engineering
- Portfolio Management
- Financial Modeling
- International Finance
- Insurance Underwriting and risk management
- Banks Stress Testing
- Market Micro-Structure
- Financial Risk Management
- Personal Financial Planning
Dr. Saad holds a Ph.D. in Finance and Master of Science in Finance from The University of New Orleans. He also holds an MBA with a concentration in Finance from Oklahoma City University. He earned his Bachelor of Administrative Science from King Saud University. Dr. Saad is a certified insurance professional who holds the IFCE certification.
Research in Progress:
- The Impact of the Coronavirus Outbreak on Stocks’ Idiosyncratic risk and Illiquidity: An Empirical Study on the Saudi Stock Market.
- The Impact of Static and Dynamic Interruptions Mechanism on Idiosyncratic Volatility.
- Stock Return and the Volatility Guards.
- The Role of Price Limits on Stock Illiquidity and Volatility.
- IPOs Underpricing from a Price Limits Prospective.
- Macro Stress Testing on Saudi Commercial Banks
- The 10 Year Anniversary of the Global Financial Crisis: a look at Financial Regulation Impact on the Efficiency of U.S. Commercial Banks.
- The Determinations of Sovereign Debt Issuance Choice: Sukuk vs. Conventional Bonds.
- International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management 2017 - present
Areas of Research Interest:
- Asset Pricing and Investment
- Price limits and volatility Interruptions
- Stock Return Predictability
- Illiquidity Measures
- Behavioral finance (Momentum Effect, Overreaction and underreaction)
- Earning manipulations
- Corporate Governance
- Received a grant from Prince Sultan University, PSU-COVID19 Emergency Research Program, for our paper titled: “The Impact of the Coronavirus Outbreak on Stocks’ Idiosyncratic risk and Illiquidity: An Empirical Study on the Saudi Stock Market.” (April 2020)
Conferences and Workshops:
- AACSB Assurance of Learning Seminar at PSU, Riyadh, KSA January 22-23, 2020
- AACSB Business Accreditation Seminar, Dubai, UAE December 11-12, 2019
- 1st International Symposium on MENA Economies and Markets, Prince Sultan University, Riyadh, KSA December 4-5, 2019
- Eastern Finance Association (EFA) Conference, Jacksonville, FL April 5 -8, 2017
- Eastern Finance Association (EFA) Conference, New Orleans, LA April 8 -11, 2015
- Specialized training workshop on Islamic Banking and Finance, University of New Orleans October 6 – 7, 2014
- KPMG Fraud Awareness Workshop, Certificate of Participation, Riyadh Saudi Arabia March 21,2011
- CFA Preparatory Certificate, Money Experts Institute, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, certified from the Technical and Vocational Training Corporation No. 2154006, 06/01/2011 14/04/2011
- Insurance Market Code of conduct Regulations and Implementing Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency (SAMA) Regulations, Certificate of Participation and Attendance, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 03,2010
- Maximum Impact Simulcast – Leadership Event, Atlanta, GA May 2009
- Corporate Directors Conference, Board Conference: In the Face of Heightened Uncertainties, Oklahoma City University April 2009
- Metro Technology Centers – Strategic Management System, Certificate of Graduation, Oklahoma City, OK March 2009
- World Business Forum, Certificate of Attendance, NYC, NY, September 22-25, 2008
- Selected to represent Oklahoma City University at the World Business Forum, NYC, NY, September 2008.
FIN 503: Managerial Finance
FIN 418: International Finance
FIN 411: Derivative Securities
Introduction to Finance
Principles of Finance
Areas of Teaching Interest:
- Asset Pricing and Investments
- Mathematical Finance
- Financial Derivatives
- Financial Modeling
- Corporate finance
- Money and Banking
- International Finance
- Financial Markets & Institutions
- Financial Management
- Risk management & Insurance
- Business Statistics
Honors and Awards:
- Privateer Graduate Award, 2015, The University of New Orleans.
- Full Doctoral Scholarship, 2014 -2019 (The Government of Saudi Arabia)
- Graduated with honors, 2009, Oklahoma City University.
- Full Master Scholarship, 2006-2009 (The Government of Saudi Arabia)
- The Chair of the AACSB Accreditation Committee, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- The Freshmen Supervisor for the undergraduate finance program, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present
- The faculty advisor for the CFA Challenge, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- A member of the NCAAA Accreditation Committee, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- A member of the Evaluation of Quality in Private Universities Committee, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- A member of the Accreditation and Quality Assurance Committeem Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- A member of the Undergraduate Program Restructuring Committee, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- A member of the Community Outreach Committee, Al Yamamah University, 2019 – Present.
- A journal reviewer for the International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, 2017 – Present.