Dr. Mayas Ahmad Taha
Assistant Professor of Architecture
Assistant professor in the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, (COEA), Department of architecture and interior architecture (AIA), her research interests include: architectural design, heritage conservation, urban design, landscape design & urban planning, she has many research papers within her research interest. She is a member of the Technical Program Committee of the ICCEA'22 conference.
Previously she was an assistant professor in the architecture design department at Damascus University, AL-Yarmouk privet University and AL Etihad privet university. Dr. Mayas Ahmad Taha obtained her Ph.D. in Architecture design from Damascus University, Syria, 2017, about the architectural and urban heritage in the twentieth century. MSC in Architecture, awarded in 2012 about the transitional zones surrounding heritage centers.
Before joining Al-Yamamah, Dr. Mayas Taha served in administrative positions in Damascus university, such as a member in Central Affairs Engineering, and the chair of the Design Study committee at Central Affairs Engineering Damascus university. As well, she served on the Scientific Committee of the research at AL-Yarmouk university.
She supervised graduate students at AL- Yarmouk University, AL Etihad university and she participated in many local and Arab workshops.
During her work at Damascus University, she supervised many projects at the university and supervised the interior design of many buildings.
Next to education and research, she always had a particular interest in development and coordination tasks with special attention to the relationship between academia and practice. She has been involved in organizing and leading many workshops, and activities. Her research papers have been supported in part grants from Damascus University and Aleppo College of Architecture.
During her work at Al-Yamamah University, she taught architectural design courses for fourth & fifth-year students, landscape, architectural conservation, history of architecture, and working drawing courses.
She has more than 14 years of professional experience in teaching university-level courses, practice, and services projects that include projects in the area of construction, landscape projects, and heritage conservations.
Areas of Expertise
- Architectural Design
- Urban Design
- Heritage Conservation
- Conservation of Architectural Heritage, Book chapter, "Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Armed Conflicts in the Arab World", pp 181-197, 01 January 2022, Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Armed Conflicts in the Arab World | SpringerLink, Part of the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation book series (ASTI), https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-74482-3.
- Arab Journal of Science and Research Publishing (AJSRP), " The advantages and disadvantages of online architecture teaching compared to traditional teaching, According to the perspective of professors in colleges of architecture in private universities in Riyadh", the second issue, fifth volume ,30-6-2021.
- Electronic Interdisciplinary Miscellaneous Journal, Standards for open-spaces landscape design in residential neighborhoods with hot and dry context, the (30th) issue, 2020. https://www.eimj.org/uplode/images/photo/Standards_for_openspaces_landscape_design_t..pdf
- AL- Yammamah university, YUGEN Forum, "The landscape elements of university buildings in Saudi Arabia, and its impact to provide a suitable environment for its users", research paper, 2019.
- Damascus University, college of Architecture, department of architecture design, "Basis for determination of the urban and architecture heritage in the Damascus in the twentieth century". PhD. thesis,11,4,2017. http://nsr.sy/df509/pdf/7666.pdf
- Baghdad University, Journal of Journal of Studies in History and Heritage, "Study on the methodology used for the certification of cultural property in the World Heritage List"19/7/2016.
- Aleppo University Journal of Engineering Sciences, "Criteria and mechanisms of urban and architectural heritage documentation - The reality of archaeological recording in Syria as a Case Study", 11/4/2016.
- Aleppo University Journal of Engineering Sciences, "The protection of the built cultural heritage in armed conflict situations/ cases The Syrian World heritage listed sites during the crisis as a case study",3/2/2016.
- Damascus University Journal of Engineering Sciences, "Categorization system of registered buildings in national heritage list: Analyzing British case study to develop Syrian current status", 7/4/2016.
- Aleppo University, College of Architecture, "Study the architecture of transitional areas surround the historical cities", Master thesis, 2012.
- Aleppo University Journal of Engineering Sciences," The Architecture of Transitional Areas in Syria Reality - Problems – Solutions Damascus - Aleppo Model" ,22/11/2011.
In progress Research work:
- in progress. Obtained the initial acceptance from the 5th International Conference on Civil Engineering and Architecture (ICCEA 2022).
- In progress. Working on a shared research paper, titled "Heritage Branding", with another faculty member in YU, university. - In progress. Working on a research paper about urban heritage developments
- AL- Yammamah university, YUGEN conference, "The landscape elements of university buildings in Saudi Arabia, and its impact to provide a suitable environment for its users", research paper, 2019.
- Conservation of Architectural Heritage (CAH) 4th Edition, Egypt, 31-Jan to 3Feb, by research paper "Legal mechanisms for the conservation of architectural heritage in situations of armed conflict, and the assessment of their compliance in certain World Heritage sites in the Arab world"
- Workshop on design thinking workshop, Al-Yammah University.
- Workshop on You 2.0 How to Upgrade for an Uncertain Future Workshop, Al-Yammah University.
- Workshop on Writing CLOs in line with PLOs, Al-Yammah University.
- Workshop on CLOs Assessment and Analysis, Al-Yammah University.
- Workshop on training on the software tool SPSS, Al-Yammah University.
- Workshop on Basic SBC 201, IBC and NFPA101 Application in Architectural design –Space planning, Al-Yammah University.
- Workshop on Fundamentals of Passive fire protection – Fire stopping system, Al-Yammah University.
- ARC511 Graduation project
- IARA425 Landscape design (Elective course)
- Graduation project
- ARC 401: Architectural Design V
- ARC 411: Architectural Design VI
- ARC402: Landscape and Site planning
- ARC 403: Working drawings1
- ARC 413: Working drawing 2
- ARCA 425: Architecture Conservation. (Elective course)
- ARC 203: History of Architecture I.
- ARC213: History of Architecture II.
- IAR 404: Detailing and Specifications and Codes
- IAR 414: Conservation, Preservation, Renovation, and Restoration
- IAR 401-Interior Arch Working Drawings -2
- Between (2020-2022): Landscape design projects in KAFD, and other landscape design projects for private homes, preparing a site plan and landscape design, for the external spaces, by discussing with clients, engineers, and then preparing site plans, specifications tables, and cost estimates, after Analyzing the environmental conditions, (KAFD project –zone 5.06) to choose the main finishing material for the site paving, and the suitable landscape features.
- Between (2018-2020): Architecture design for many residential buildings, private villas, and many industrial units in al-Shaikh Najar industrial city in Syria, Aleppo, and Supervising the implementation of these projects.
- Architecture design for other projects in Saudi Arabia with "Al Turath Engineering Consulting Office"
- Urban design project: traditional Souq in Jeddah, (the entrance to Jeddah, from Mecca)
- Medical center (dental clinics) in AL- Medina
- Between (2013-2018) : Architectural Design and interior design projects on the campus of Damascus University, redesign many offices in many colleges there supervised by Central Affairs Engineering. reviewing architectural plans, sections, elevations, of many administration buildings in Damascus university campus, and tables of specifications, sketches, and ideas on developing interior and landscape designs, as being the chair of the Design Study committee at Central Affairs Engineering.
- Between (2007-2012): Assistant teacher in Aleppo & Damascus university, & architect in Department of Affairs Engineering / Faculty of Fine Arts/ Aleppo university& Central Affairs Engineering / Damascus University, Supervising several projects and constructions on the university campus.
- Technical Program Committee of the ICCEA'22 conference, which will be held in in Hanoi, Vietnam on December 16-18, 2022, co-sponsored by Vietnam Institute of Building Materials, technical supported by Innovation Centre for Engineering Education at Seoul National University.
- Member of examination committee, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (2019-2020)
- Member of research committee, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (2018-2020)
- Member of transfer committee, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (208-2020)
- Member of graduation committee, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (2019-2020)
- Member of develop the annual program committee, Arch. Coordinator, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (2018-2019)
- Chair of Practical exams moderation committee, College of Architecture,
Al-Yammah University (2018-2019)
- Member of Permanent Engineering committee, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (2018-2020)
- Member of grade appeal committee, College of Architecture, Al-Yammah University (2018-2020)
- Member of graduation committee, College of Architecture,
Al-Yarmouk University (2014-2017)
- Member of Student Training Program, College of Architecture,
Damascus University (2014-2017)