Dr. Adnan Mahmutovic
Assistant Professor of Law
Dr. Adnan Mahmutovic obtained his Ph.D. in International law from University of Zenica (2013), LLM in State and Public International Law from University of Tuzla (2009).
Dr. Adnan Mahmutovic is also an international border security management expert on European Union Schengen regulations. His research focuses on the evolution of European Union as it relates to European Union Law and the trade-offs between border security and democratization within the EU. He has authored 3 books. He has also authored over 12 papers in the field of EU law and border management. Dr.Mahmutovic has consulted with international organizations including the EU’s Frontex, OSCE, DCAF, and IOM.
In addition to his research at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Law and International Law in Germany, Dr. Mahmutovic began his academic career as an assistant professor at the University of Travnik (2013-2015), followed by International University in Sarajevo (2015-2016), Prince Mohammad University (2016-2021) and as Director of Law Program at Dar Al Hekma University in KSA (2021-2022). Prior to his academic career and diplomatic stint, Dr. Mahmutovic served as a classroom teacher with the Border Guard Academy in Sarajevo (2006-2013).
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: Democratic legitimacy of the European Union, El-Kelimeh, 2013, pp. 520.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: Ever Closer Schengen, Fojnica, Sarajevo 2014.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: An Introduction to European union Law, University in Travnik, Faculty of Law, 2015. University Textbook.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, N, Lita, The European Union Distinctiveness: A concept of the Rule of Law, Diponegoro Law Review, Vol 06,2,2021.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: Erosion of the Rule of Law in the European Union, Journal of Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Issues, 24(7)1-12,2021 (Scopus)
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, MARK OLSON: European Union Smart Borders: An Examination of Its Structural Impacts on Human Rights Versus National Sovereignty Needs, Hamdard Islamicus Journal, Vol.43 NO.S.2 (2020) (Scopus)
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, Nermina Memic-Mujagic: The Democratic Deficit of the European Union: Two Schools under One Roof, Balkan Yearbook of European and International Law,Springer,2019.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, MARK OLSON: Local Border Traffic: Case study on Bosnia and Croatia, Journal of American Academic Research, Volume 5, Issue 2, June 2017.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: Collective Identity: The Magic Word for Europe, International Scientific Conference Establishment a Modern Legal System, Bulletin of Scientific Conference ,University of Burch, Sarajevo, October, 2014.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: Rule of Law in European Union: Scope, Size, Protection, and precondition for membership in the European Union, International Scientific Conference Establishment a Modern Legal System, Bulletin of Scientific Conference University of Burch, Sarajevo, October, 2014, .
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIĆ: Smart Borders of the European Union: Entry/Exit System and Registered Traveller Programme, OSCE BMSC Cross- Border Research Conference ,2014, Tajikistan,
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC: Legislative and non-legislative acts and Democratic Legitimacy of EU, Croatian and Comparative Public Administration" 2/13,2013, Zagreb.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIĆ: “Besprechung der Entscheidung des Gerichtshoes der Europäischen Unionin der Rechtssache C-555/07 Seda Kücükdeveci v Swedex GmbH & Co. KG,“ Neue Juristische Umschau –Zeitschrift für einheimisches, deutsches und europäisches Recht,2/12, 46-52.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, “Short Review of The Lisbon Treaty” European Union Legislation, Institute of International Politics and Economics, BELGRADE, No. 31-32/10, 2010, p. 39 -52.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, “Current issues in BiH -Constitutional Reforms and Institutional
Aspects”, Bulletin of Scientific Conference – Harmonisation of Legislation of the Republic of Serbia with European Union Law, Institute of International Politics and Economics, BELGRADE , 2010. p. 93 -111.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, “Overview of the Structure and Jurisdiction of the Court of Justice of the European Union after the Lisbon Treaty” Legal Thought, Federal Ministry of Justice BiH, SARAJEVO, No. 5 – 6 / 2011, p. 91 - 117
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, “Charter of Fundamental Rights - Cornerstone for the Future EU Constitution, Legal Thought, Federal Ministry of Justice BiH, SARAJEVO, No. 3 – 4 / 2010, p. 50 – 65.
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, “EU Enlargement – Treaty of Lisbon and Western Balkans,” Journal Annals of the Faculty of Law in Zenica, ZENICA, No. 7/4, 2010,
- ADNAN MAHMUTOVIC, “Constitutional Reforms for the purpose of European Integrations”, Legal Thought, Federal Ministry of Justice BiH, SARAJEVO, No. 11-12/2009, p. 23 - 36.
The 3rd International Conference Law and Justice (ICLJ) on the 5th -6th November 2019,Malaysia.
OSCE BMSC Cross- Border Research Conference: Border Security- Globalization and Migration Challenges, Dushanbe 2014, Tajikistan,
International Scientific Conference Establishment a Modern Legal System, University of Burch, Sarajevo, October, 2014.
Southeast European Law Network – SEELS: “Rule of Law, Human Rights and the European Union”, Bečiči – Montenegro, 2012;
Symposium with international participation "B&H and the European identity" Faculty of Law, University in Zenica, 2010;
Constitutional Reforms and Institutional Aspects: Harmonisation of Legislation of the Republic of Serbia with European Union Law, Institute of International Politics and Economics, Belgrade 2010.
- Public International Law
- Law on International Organizations
- International Humanitarian Law
- Oil and Gas